Uninstalling/updating Lilo

Bill's LFS Login lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Mon Sep 8 10:14:27 PDT 2003

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, Zoilo wrote:

> Bill's LFS Login wrote:

> >>Did you follow the archive message, and reinstall your new lilo ? E.g:
> >>=> make -C /lfs/usr/src/lilo-22.2 install
> >>
> >>This problem may occur if you have a separate boot partition, which is
> >>not visible from the chroot jail where you build lfs. So when you
> >>install lilo while in the chroot jail, it gets installed in directory
> >>/lfs/boot (assuming partition is mounted on /lfs), not in partition /boot.
> >>

> >If I read his situation correctly, he has no need to be in chroot (and
> >the book recommends against this - probably due to what you have
> >mentioned).
> >
> Yes and no.
>
> Yes, he has to be there when installing the lilo binaries (see Chapter
> 6: 'Installing lilo-22.2'). But boot.b will not be installed in his
> /boot partition, but in the /boot directory of his chroot-jail.
>
> No, he shouldn't be there when running lilo to install the kernel (see
> Chapter 8).

Exactly. You covered the general case - I was thinking only for his
particular situation. His Mandrake is installed and running, his LFS 3.3
is installed and running already. Only the hdd boot is failing.

> But while out of the chroot jail, and when running 'lilo -v', he's using
> the old lilo, not the new one. And because he has a /boot partition,
> which is invisible while chroot'd, boot.b has not been installed there.

Yes. I, and I presume many others, solve this with the mount --bind. But
IIRC, LFS-3.3 had a version of mount that didn't support "--bind". So he
would end up duplicating /boot in both the old and new if he wanted to
be able run Lilo's installer from either place, chroot or non-chroot.
IIRC, the book does this duplication, but does not address the problem
of different versions of lilo, as you did.

> After reboot, the situation is different, since now we get (old) boot.b
> 21.7 running with (new) lilo-22.2.
>
> I don't think this is covered by the manual; please tell me if I'm
> overlooking something.

No, you have it exactly right. The key is that the when Lilo runs it
wants to find compatible versions of boot blocks. And using the scenario
use described, the lilo version of the host would not be updated and its
boot blocks are also not updated.

> Another potential problem is the fact that several different
> /etc/lilo.conf's will start lingering around if you have several
> (potential) root partitions. I fix this by installing lilo.conf in my
> /boot-partition, and creating 'ls -s /boot /etc/lilo.conf' in every

I presume you meant "ln -s..." ? A good solution, I think. That way
folks don't need to remember "lilo -C /boot/...".

> (potential) root partition (credit to Peter Feller).
>
> Z.

Anyway, I'm glad your advice got him going.

--
Bill Maltby
lfsbill at wlmcs.com