Why not /boot/lilo.onf instead of /etc/lilo.conf ?

Rainer Peter Feller rainer at maren.desy.de
Mon Sep 1 06:45:20 PDT 2003

On Mon, 1 Sep 2003, Zoilo wrote:

> >o.k. the softlink is in each root partitition in /etc/lilo.conf pointing
> >to /boot/lilo.conf, not the other way round ... the kernels should also be
> >in /boot/kernels or something
> >
> (Sorry, I should have realized that this is what you intended.)
>
> Yeah, that seems a smart approach!
>
> Remains the question: is this common practice, and if not, why not? Or
> am I the only one with a special /boot partition?
>
> Z.

it is just not common to have more than 1 root partitition on most linux
systems :-)

It is just common for distribution developer/manager I suppose
On a productive system you do not have that many distos lying around, have
you?

On the other hand I am using a /boot partitition for ages (in former times
where hdd where expensive and you have to start m$.win to play games it
was handy to have lilo not on the mbr)

CUH Rainer Peter Feller