path vs symlinks

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar.wants at nospam.com
Sun Mar 30 00:17:23 PST 2003

On Sat, 2003-03-29 at 17:24, Joe wrote:
> so people are putting stuff in some unorthadox places. I would stick true to
> the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard but not having any package management it
> is easier for me to put all my added programs in there own directories so
> that i can easily remove them (the base system gets put in the normal
> directories) . It doesnt take much work either. Long configure line?? all
> you have to add is
> --prefix=/usr/local/package??

This is a way to wind up in a _world_ of hurt as you try to compile
something that needs to use parts of more than one other package.  If
you are dead set on building things so that you can quickly remove them
and can't live without symlinks, search the web for a utility called
"stow" that lets you stick your files into their own little directories
and automatically make the bajillion symlinks necessary from /usr to
their actual locations.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org