Testing ALSA sound setup

Andrew Calkin calkina at ece.curtin.edu.au
Wed Mar 26 21:39:37 PST 2003

Hiya,

On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 09:34:00PM -0800, Grant Murray wrote:
> Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> > On Thursday 27 March 2003 07:30, Grant Murray wrote:
> >
> >>Borkeness! Very elegant way for this to fail.

> >>Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address
> >>00000000 printing eip:
> >>c0112e83
> >

> > I use ALSA 0.9.0rc7 in the classroom (if I remember correctly - my home and
> > classroom setups are out of sync now) with the same (ens1371) soundcard
> > module. At home, I use ALSA 0.9.0rc7 with fm801 module. Both setups work OK
> > with kernel version 2.4.20-ac1 + ptrace patch. What kernel and ALSA versions
> > do you use?
> >

> Linux 2.4.20       compiled with gcc-2.95.3
> alsa-drivers 0.9.2 compiled with gcc-3.2.2
> alsa-utils 0.9.2
> glibc 2.3.1
I would use the same gcc version for compiling the kernel and kernel modules
if I were you. This could be the problem? Correct me if i'm wrong guys,
I haven't used ALSA yet, but i _thought_ they were kernel modules, and
I seem to remember a note saying you should compile all parts of the
kernel with the _exact_same_ version of gcc.

//Andrew
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org