KDE 3.1 font woes

Craig Colton meerkats at bellsouth.net
Sun Mar 23 12:30:40 PST 2003

On Saturday 22 March 2003 02:11 pm, you wrote:
> Greetings all.
>
> Setting up decent fonts in kde is killing me. I've spent at least 3
> hours on it (compared to the 11 hours to get the system built)
>
> Basically I set up my LFS 4.0 system with XF86 4.3.0 using the sources
> from the first 5 source tarballs (the  BLFS manual said 3) The extra two
> were apparently font packages.  This may or may be not related to the
> problem.
>
> I installed the MS truetype font packe into /ust/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts
> under msfonts.
> Then I isntalled the fonts with the kde font installer. It worked
> alright for a while but now I've stuffed it.
>
> When I installed other fonts than verdana the system would revert to the
> base font. I've fiddled with the encoding and can't change the fonts
> back to proper truetype verdana.
> The fonts in konsole are too 'spaced' and difficult to read.
>
> I need to change the fonts in kde so they *stay* changed. I also need to
> change the konsole fonts  so they look decent.
>
> Apologies for the mumbled post. The frustration is getting to me.
>
> qt-3.0.6
> freetype 2.1.3
> kde 3.1
> msfonts-1.2.1

I think KDE's "Font Installer" is misnamed. It will _not_ install fonts system
wide. It seems like it only caches them in order to give you a sample of what
they look like when you ask. If  X's fontconfig doesn't have these fonts,
they, for the most part, are not available.

I haven't seen the BLFS instructions for X4.3, but if you will install your
fonts according to Dagmar's XFree86 4.2.99 hint, and in addition:
1. add your new font directory to  /etc/fonts/fonts.conf
2. run "fc-cache -f -v"

your truetype fonts may become usable in KDE.

Regards,
Craig

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org