/dev 'not updated'

Frank Gore fgore at sympatico.ca
Fri Mar 21 20:06:36 PST 2003

On March 21, 2003 22:52, John Gay wrote:
> usb is another problem all together. I'm not too sure about just how the
> kernel handles usb stuff. You will need to search the kernel doc's for info
> regarding that. I imagine there are people on this list with experience
> with usb who can help you with this.

The kernel handles USB stuff just like it does any other device. And the /dev
tree can hold all the USB nodes anyone needs. /dev/input/mouse0 is enough for
any USB mouse. /dev/usb/lp0 is enough for any USB printer. /dev/input/js0 is
enough for any USB joystick, etc. All of these are listed in the devices.txt
file in the Kernel documentation, so they're all official and static.
Unfortunately, the MAKEDEV script doesn't generate any of those, so they have
to be created manually using the mknod command. But a quick lookup in the
devices.txt file and the mknod man page should be all that's necessary to
figure out how to create them.

> As for finding out what MAKEDEV can build, have a read of it. It's only a
> script, after all. You should be able to find the group names in it
> somewhere. I remember having to read it a few time myself.

Actually, I tried updating the MAKEDEV script to include USB device nodes, but
the script itself was just too convoluted for my limited skills.

Frank
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org