/dev 'not updated'

conathan at conet.dyndns.org conathan at conet.dyndns.org
Fri Mar 21 21:02:37 PST 2003

> --- Tushar Teredesai <tushar at linuxfromscratch.org>
> wrote:
>
>> There is no official Makedev script AFAIK. Also,
>> AFAIK the list of
>> devices is frozen and no more can be added.
>>
>> Check out the devices.txt that is included with the
>> kernel. A google
>> search for makedev will give tons of scripts.
>>
>> There is a Makedev script included with LFS, if you
>> find that any of the
>> devices are missing, you may submit patches to be
>> included in the next
>> version.
>

> I am using Makedev-1.7 script , is it enough for any
> kernel,  Also is there any one command in Makedev to
> install all the devices ( not generic ) or group names
> . Can you please give those group names ( i cant find
> it anywhere )
>
> Another thing is that I have All USB modules compiled
> as built-in in my kernel, but i dont see any
> /dev/usbmouse created or any /dev/usb... file .
> I also neither find any options "inside" the Makedev
> script to create usb devices ?

I think you have to use the mknod command, as well as the data within
devices.txt [I never actually looked in devices.txt, so just a guess
there, but someone mentioned that].

compiling the kernel has nothing to do with adding/removing /dev entries,
unless you wish to try the devfs stuff.

AFAIK, I believe that the kernel version should not matter with the device
file entries.  As an example, if I wanted to create a mouse driver for
XFree 4.3 (This is the PS/2 port), I would mknod 10 2 /dev/psaux, or mknod
10 2 /dev/mouse .

if I reall wanted to, I could
mknod 10 2 /mymouse, and tell XFree it is there.

Therefore, identification is based on those 2 numbers [major and minor I
believe], there is a large table at Documentation/devices.txt, under the
linux-2.4.20 directory.  [it also gives the filename it suggests you use,
but that is only a guideline].  (I do recommend you follow that, as some
programs assume a device file is at that given spot, [the rest of them
have mentioned this, as it applies to DevFS])

You could even copy them to a entirely seperate linux system, and I
believe they would work exactly the same.

out of devices.txt,
--------
180 char        USB devices
                  0 = /dev/usb/lp0      First USB printer
                 15 = /dev/usb/lp15     16th USB printer
                 16 = /dev/usb/mouse0   First USB mouse
                 31 = /dev/usb/mouse15  16th USB mouse
                 32 = /dev/usb/ez0      First USB firmware loader
                 47 = /dev/usb/ez15     16th USB firmware loader
                 48 = /dev/usb/scanner0 First USB scanner
                 63 = /dev/usb/scanner15 16th USB scanner
                 64 = /dev/usb/rio500   Diamond Rio 500
-------
Therefore, mknod 180 16 /dev/usb/mouse0 would be a link to your first USB
mouse, [or you could set it as /dev/mouse if you liked, just make sure
every program that uses the mouse know's that].

Note: This mouse uses different # from the other mouse above, as this one
is USB, and the last one was PS/2

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org