bind as authorized DNS

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar.wants at nospam.com
Thu Mar 20 17:04:24 PST 2003

On Thu, 2003-03-20 at 13:06, Sanjuro Europe wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm configuring Bind (9.2.2) for my local domain and everything is
> working fine except that the server does not report being the authorized
> DNS server.
>
> Can someone please tell how to fix this?

> $TTL 3D
> @       IN              SOA     beta.local.domain. \
> postmaster.beta.local.domain. (
>                                  2003012646 ; serial
>                                  28800      ; refresh (8 hours)
>                                  14400      ; retry (4 hours)
>                                  604800     ; expire (1 week)
>                                  86400 )    ; minimum (1 day)
> ;
>                          NS      beta
>                          A       10.1.1.2
>                          A       127.0.0.1
>                          MX      10 beta
>
> What should I add of change to get bind to respond as authorized server?

Ya see that "SOA" bit up there?  It means Server Of Authority.  The two
entries following it (that you probably shouldn't bifurcate with \, BTW)
are supposed to be the name of the server of authority, and the email
address of the DNS admin there, with the "@" replaced with a ".".  If
beta.local.domain is the hostname of that machine, then it should be
answering authoritatively.  If it's _not_, then it's rather likely that
the server has decided beta.local.domain isn't it's name for some reason
(like your inverse records). Bang on it a little bit.  You're almost
there.

BTW, you may find it easier to type something like "kung.foo",
"foo.bar", "my.pad", or "just.me" as your local faux domain.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org