FW: Vanishing shell script

Matthew Burgess ca9mbu at hermes.sunderland.ac.uk
Tue Mar 18 07:31:26 PST 2003

"Ian Molton" <spyro at f2s.com> wrote in message
news:20030318143929.67b25333.spyro at f2s.com...

> Hmm. vanishing shell script.
>
> is that anything like a vanishing C program?
>
> I was *cursing* gccs retardedness in silently allowing you to specify
>
> gcc -Wall -O2 file.c -o file.c
>
> Or more specifically:
>
> gcc -Wall -O2 q3scores.c -o q3scores.c
>
> about 2 days ago...
>
> Its not the first time either. Im considering a wrapper script.

ROFLTMAO :)

Been there done that and also considered writing a wrapper script and
then wondered what carnage that might create if I can't even type a
simple gcc command line in, so thought better of it!  Just made a note
to self to not be so bloody stupid again - oh yeah and to make backups,
doh!  Having said that it would be nice and I'd imagine relatively
trivial to patch GCC to detect whether inputFile == outputFile and if so
to print out an appropriately obnoxious message to the user.  This being
GCC and all one wonders whether that would indeed be trivial though :)

Matt.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org