Smal LAN + ADSL WAN

Chris Jensen chris-lfs at drspirograph.com
Fri Mar 14 05:31:38 PST 2003

Hi,
> The Debian installation needs the gateway configured in, and the
> modems IP address in /etc/resolv.conf, and it is off connecting to the
> internet happily.
>
> The LFS box, does not have an obvious place to set up a gateway, and
> I have not installed PPP, or any of the networking utilities, except
> for NFS and ssh, which worked fine with my LAN.

You should be able to get away with the same on LFS, eg /etc/resolv.conf
As for gateway, on my system it is in
however my LFS is fairly old, so this could have changed. Try grepping /etc
for your old gateway address.

> Further, how do I get DNS to recognise the machines
> on the LAN, now that the modem has taken over DHCP/DNS server duties?

This depends on the Modem. For example, I'm using an alcatel speed touch which
just basically needs DNS and DHCP serving setup and it's getting the host
names of those machines it serves a DHCP   address to (I'm not sure how this
is happening, because these machines aren't LFS, they were openBSD)
As for the static IPs, I just manually added a DNS entry for them in the
router.

--
Chris Jensen

Public Key: http://drspirograph.com/public_key/

Wait: Did you know that there's a direct correlation between the decline of
Spirograph and the rise in gang activity?  Think about it.
- Dr Spirograph (The Simpsons)

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org