insane kernel settings

Sam Halliday fommil at yahoo.ie
Thu Mar 13 13:34:12 PST 2003

Ken Moffat wrote:
> > The same also happens when i try to mount the usbdevfs; the usbcore
> > module is not autoloaded. Which rule must i place in my modules.conf
> > file in order for usbcore to be autoloaded when needed? i use devfs.
> No experience of usb here, and I won't touch devfs with the proverbial
> barge-pole, but I imagine you need something like
> pre-install usbdevfs modprobe usbcore

err... no thanks that wasnt really what i was after. by not using devfs
you really missing out on some fantastic features of a modern kernel.
static device nodes in the filesystem are a burden nobody should have to
bear... never mind the reduced overhead in registered devices which the
kernel now enjoys :-D. trust me, dont be afraid... give it a go! my
problem wasnt even devfs related in the end, in fact i have had next to
no problems with devfs.

Declan Moriarty wrote:
> This may be a silly question, but if you have kernel built in support,
> you don't have modules, right? So why do you think modules.conf will
> do anything?

yes, a silly question :-D it is of course as a module and not built in
at all. There is no problem if it is built in, but i rather have as many
modules as possible in a kernel config.

> The kernel should pick it up automagically. If the kernel hasn't a
> breeze, and some daemon won't do the business for you, put them back
> as modules. That's my advice.
yeah... its very strange _why_ it doesnt pick it up... i fixed this in
the end and allowed auto-loading by adding this in my /etc/modules.conf
(first line is the important change from before, which i personally
think should be a standard /lib/modules/2.4.20/modules.dep entry)

probeall  /dev/usb usbcore
alias     /dev/usb/scanner* /dev/usb/scanner
probeall  /dev/usb/scanner usb-uhci scanner

which fixes my scanner issues, and to fix the usbdevfs issue, i made use
of the above and the redunadant first field in the fstab rules for
usbdevfs, by adding this line

/dev/usb /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults,devmode=0777 0 0

so that when mount looks at /dev/usb, the kernel loads the usbcore
module.

all works :-D
cheers,
Sam