xmms won't play CD's

Alexander E. Patrakov semzx at newmail.ru
Mon Mar 10 05:44:34 PST 2003

On Monday 10 March 2003 10:26, Wayne E. Harlan wrote:
> On 10 Mar, Alexander E. Patrakov spoke thusly:
> > You will get it if libcdread.so is not found. Also, change the
> > permissions - it's cdrom, anyway. On my machine cdroms and floppy are
> > accessible to the group "floppy".
>
> Yes, libcdread is not found.  If it were, it would be listed in the
> Input dialog.  Also, I checked the lfs 4.0 book and there is nothing
> about modifying the owners of any of the groups that MAKEDEV creates. Is
> this something I missed ?  Besides, on my host system, /dev/hdc is only
> accessible, rw, to root and xmms does play CD's there.

You missed nothing. This is my machine, and I want to create ISO images from
cdroms as a user.

> My own opinion is that the cause of both libcdaudio and libcdread not
> working are the same but I do not have the knowledge to understand what
> that is.

No. libcdaudio is shown, libcdread is not.

Some wild guesses follow with a command to disprove them (with answers from my
system, which has xmms configured with --prefix=/usr)

1) Two xmms binaries:
type -p xmms
--> /usr/bin/xmms
1a) Two libxmms.so files
(disprove it yourself)
2) Bad xmms-config
strings `type -p xmms` | grep lib/
-->
/lib/ld-linux.so.2
/usr/lib/xmms
3) CD audio muted in mixer for libcdaudio.so
(this does not explain why xmms does not see libcdread.so)

Since we are cluttering mailboxes of other people, I suggest mailing me the
results privately.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org