alsa -0.9.0rc8a unusable because of static

Dennis denux at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 9 21:01:55 PST 2003

I tried this and it seemed to work for two days. I thought the problem
was solved, but today the static returned and won't go away, even though
I reset the latencies.

Is there, by any chance, some sort of extra sound card initialization
required? (Just a wild theory, but I had turned off the computer before
the latest static attack. If some register had been set correctly but
isn't being reinitialized...).

-Dennis.