xinetd, inetutils and others

Bill's LFS Login lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Wed Mar 5 12:20:52 PST 2003

On Wed, 5 Mar 2003, Jason Gurtz wrote:

> Tony Sequeira wrote:
> > Installed xinetd OK.  Information on this is pretty sparse.  Then
> > installed inetutils.  Managed to configure xinetd.conf to get a few
> > (tcpwrappers) services running.  One thing puzzles me is where do I
> > get all the services starting with 'in.' that are specified in the
> > xinetd.conf file?  I notice inetutils installs inetd, but no
> > inetd.conf.

I don't have inetd installed on this system (LFS 20021030), but IIRC,
you don't need them. I *think* man inetd.conf or the docs for portmap
(tcpwrappers) tells you how to set up using a generic in.* program that
makes the actual call to the desired service program. It involves moving
the real program to another directory or name (both) and modifying the
services file to call the generic in.* (can't remember its real name)
program with the real program location/name and the target parameters.

Aha! On my RH 6.2, here is a sample (I think).

ftp     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.ftpd -l -a

<snip>

--
Bill Maltby
lfsbill at wlmcs.com