Kernel Panic [was Is my hardware dying?]

Declan. Moriarty declan.moriarty at ntlworld.ie
Sat Mar 1 01:09:51 PST 2003

On Sat, Mar 01, 2003 at 01:13:48AM +1100, Chris Jensen enlightened us thusly
> > > So two questions:
> > > Is there anyway I can configure a system so that it would be possible to
> > > discover that a panic has occured while running X?
> >
> > For this I have a suggestion: make /dev/console a link to /dev/lp0.
> > All kernel messages will be sent to de console, i.e., the printer!
>
> I'd thought about solutions like this (or perhaps trying to send it down a
> serial or network cable), but I thought, once the panic messages appear, the
> kernel will have paniced already, so what sort of functionality does the
> kernel perform once it's paniced? Will the drivers that send stuff out to
> these various devices actually be given a chance to send this stuff out?

The kernel won't help you then - it won't attempt an interrupt.
Nothing would come out. The idea was to have the dying
messages(and an awful lot more besides) come onto a printer. ymmv.
--

	With best Regards,

	Declan Moriarty.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org