hardware detection in lfs

Henk Csaba tphhec01 at degas.ceu.hu
Mon Jan 20 08:37:43 PST 2003

On Mon, 20 Jan 2003, P.B.Prabhuram wrote:

> I am adding a new hardware to my lfs pc,  ( i have
> compiled the module for that hardware with my kernel )
> now by juct typing 'modprobe' can detect and install
> that hardware or it requires additional commands ??
> Please dont scare me ;-) , i expect a answer as simple
> as this question...

 The simplest answer you could get would be the result of trying to do so,
huh?
 So:
 In most cases it will do.
 Anyway, you need device files set up correctly; if your hardware is not
exotic, you have a nice chance that this is the case. If not, seek up the
regarding howto (www.tldp.org) or other ware(-type)-specific doc, it will
tell you what to do.
 And you may also need to put some settings to /etc/modules.conf; again,
if so, it must be covered by the documentation.
 If you compile a new kernel with its modules, and you build the module,
then after "make modules_install" and booting with the new kernel, the
device should work after "modprobe <module>" (keeping in mind the above
two paragraphs).
 If you want to install a device to an existing kernel, then if you
make and put the specific module to its place manually (the simplest way
to do, I think), you will need to run depmod also before modprobe-ing.
(Now I don't digress on the problem of how to make modules for an existing
kernel. One should try to figure it out.)

 Csaba

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org