package management... just an idea...

Matthew Burgess ca9mbu at eos.sunderland.ac.uk
Mon Jan 20 06:14:09 PST 2003

"Matthias Benkmann" <matthias at winterdrache.de> wrote in message
news:20030120105708.27b2aaa4.matthias at winterdrache.de...
> On Sun, 19 Jan 2003 23:06:43 -0600 Tushar Teredesai
> <tushar at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
>
> > Just a note, this won't give you a complete list of dependencies,
for
> > example:
> >
> >     * libraries that are linked in statically
> >     * packages that use other binaries
>
> You forgot:
>
>       * libraries dynamically loaded with explicit calls to dlopen()
and
> friends, the most notable example being the libnss_* libraries.

On a (somewhat) related note - if you determine for instance that
XFree86 is dependent on zlib I understand it would be just plain stupid
to remove the zlib library.  But what about upgrading them (we'll assume
it's just a minor version revision)?  I would assume that everything
would be hunky dory as the two versions should be compatible (and in
this perfect world I've read the README/Changelog and no obvious
incompatibilities are listed).  So is my assumption correct?

Matt.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org