Printing - a minority report

Declan Moriarty declan.moriarty at ntlworld.ie
Fri Jan 10 08:43:38 PST 2003

On Friday 10 January 2003 12:08, somebody wrote
> On Fri, 10 Jan 2003 09:31:33 +0000 (UTC)
>
> declan.moriarty at ntlworld.ie (Declan Moriarty) wrote:
> > Whatever cups was doing to me,  it _insisted_ on sending the ppd
> > file and postscript binary crap as text to my printer, no matter
> > what I did, or whose ppd I used. All the scripts I could find
> > (cupsomatic, foomatic-gswrapper) pointed at things that didn't or
> > shouldn't exist.
>
> Indeed. CUPS is a complete piece of shit.
>
> I remain astonished at just HOW complicated the simple process of
> spooling a file to a printer is under linux.
>
> surely all that is needed is a simple program, to spool the file, and
> a VERY VERY simple daemon to poll the spool and send jobs to the
> printer, one by one. (and listen out for status requests / job
> cancels).
>
> It should be like an afterneoons coding. WHY is it implemented in
> 9,000,000,000 awful bloated ways?

Code it, Ian. We'd all love you for it. All the conversion paraphanelia
is in place without the crap. The problem appears to be discerning the
format of the input. All that really minority report needs is a small
script to take the input from a program and call the aliases. That's 10
minutes for anyone who knows what he's doing.

--
	Regards,

	Declan Moriarty
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org