slang 1.4.9 compilation

Bill's LFS Login lfsbill at nospam.dot
Thu Dec 4 10:55:37 PST 2003

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, llista wrote:

> Hi,
>
> when i'm finishng the compilation and i perform them command shown
> below, i get that response...
>

> [root at unit0 /sources/blfs/codi/slang-1.4.9]# chmod 755
> /usr/lib/libslang.so.1.4.9
> chmod: failed to get attributes of `/usr/lib/libslang.so.1.4.9': No such
> file or directory
>
> If I go to that directory I can see this that symbolic  links shown below
>

> 8 libshadow.so -> ../../lib/libshadow.so.0
> -rw-r--r--            1 root     root      2837642 Dec  4 19:16 libslang.a
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           13 Dec  4 19:17 libslang.so ->
> libslang.so.1
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           17 Dec  4 19:17 libslang.so.1 ->
> libslang.so.1.4.9
> -r--r--r--            1 root     root        27672 Nov 24 18:35 libss.a
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           15 Nov 23 16:38 libss.so ->
> /lib/libss.so.2
> -rw-r--r--           1 root     root       282668 Dec  4 19:09 libssl.a
>
> I can see that file but but I can't change the attributes...

I can't see it! What you see is a symlink to libslang.so.1.4.9, but
where is the file?

> it's due
> to the symbolic link?¿??    and..  the book doen't explain...  but..
> why is it necessary??

Symlinks are often used to provide "compatabilty" for applications when
a shared object is updated but the binary interfaces are still good for
older versions. They allow an app to link to libslang.so, libslang.so.1
or libslang.so.1.4.9. And they never no what they really get, except
they get what they need.

> Otherwise, if i perform the command tolsd in book,  i get the next response:
>
> [root at unit0 /sbin]# ldconfig
> ldconfig: /lib/libz.so.1 is not a symbolic link
>
> ldconfig: /lib/libncurses.so.5 is not a symbolic link
>

> Does  anything goes wrong??

Is that a silly question? If things are not working, *something* went
wrong.  ;)  I suggest you *carefully* try to reinstall the packages that
seem to have problems *exactly* as the book shows. Stop when the first
error is seen.

Then review the sections of the book and FAQ and web site about "good
requests for help" and post some information that seems related to your
problem and may give folks enough information (but not way *too* much)
to help you.

--
Bill Maltby
lfsbillATwlmcsDOTcom