QPopper very slow to connect.

Jeremy Utley jeremy at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Dec 2 18:14:26 PST 2003

In article <bqi571$8m1$1 at belgarath.linuxfromscratch.org>, Paul Campbell wrote:
> Jeremy Utley wrote:
>
>> On the machine you're using to hit Qpopper, see if you can detect any
>> incoming packets on the ident port.  It looks like qpopper MAY be trying
>> to do an ident lookup - at least, that's what I usually see cause things
>> like this.
>>

> I would but it's windows OE.  Not my choice but a job for a company.
>
> I'll take a look in man qpopper to see if I can find a "no ident" switch.
>
> Thanks.
>
> On the off chance, does anyone know the status of ipop3d? I am using it on
> my mail server here in the office and it's fast.  Only I dont have the
> source, download link, or compile commands anymore.
>
> Paul

OK, Paul.  If you want a way to test this in windows, there's a very easy way.

Download a 30 day trial of mIRC, start it, go into it's preferences, enable the ident
server, disable the "Only while connecting" option, then try to check mail - see if the
pause is gone.  If it is, then you know that's the problem :)

-J-