XF86 and KDE 3

James Drabb JDrabb at cfl.rr.com
Sat Sep 7 06:55:57 PDT 2002

On Sat, 7 Sep 2002 13:08:13 -0000
"Alin Chipaila" <alin at miv.directnet.ro> wrote:

> I have already done that, but nothing happens. It seems that my
> Xserver doesn't load anything, but the gray screen... Must I recompile
> it again ?
>
> Thanks.
> Alin
>
> Ainsley Pereira <marble at linuxfromscratch.org> a dit :
>
> > On Saturday 07 September 2002 11:51, Alin Chipaila wrote:
> > > I have installed on my lfs the XF 86, version 4.2.0, but when i
> > > run startx(wich is a link to XFree86) all I get is a gray screen
> > > with no window,
> just
> > > my mouse that I can move. I get no errors while loading. I have
> > > also installed KDE 3.0.3 and I would like to knoh how do I tell
> > > the XFree86 program that I want him to load this desktop ?
> >
> > Make a ~/.xinitrc with:
> >
> > exec startkde
> >
> > in it. (Make sure kde is in your path)
> >
> > ~a.
> --
> message

What do you get for output from these commands:

type -p startx
type -p startkde

ls -l ~/.xinitrc

Doing "head -25 /usr/X11R6/bin/startx" you should see a line like:

userclientrc=$HOME/.xinitrc

Does your startx script have the userclientrc=$HOME/.xinitrc line?
Does "echo $HOME" point to your real home directory?

This is what I have in my ~/.xinitrc file

#! /bin/bash

bkg="-solid #C0C0C0"
/usr/X11R6/bin/xsetroot -cursor_name left_ptr $bkg
#exec startkde
exec gnome-session --enable-sound

Jim Drabb
James Drabb JR - Programmer Analyst - Orlando, FL - AstroDrabb at yahoo.com