xman formatting problem

Todd Pytel tppytel at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 15 06:52:58 PST 2002

Seems that my installation of xman has some issues... though regular console/xterm man pages work fine, viewing pages with xman shows me lots of formatting characters. The problem seems to be with bolded or italic characters. So, for example, I see

1mNAME0m

instead of a bolded "NAME". PAGER is set (to less -isR) in /etc/man.conf, and I've tried setting it in the environment with no effect. I suspect the problem has to do with nroff/groff, but I have no idea how those work. I have the default lines from man.conf, i.e.

GROFF	/usr/bin/groff -Tps -mandoc
NROFF	/usr/bin/nroff -mandoc

I've also tried to add -Tascii or -Tlatin1 to the NROFF line to no effect. Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Todd
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org