cdrecord can't find scsi hostadapter

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jun 27 17:28:34 PDT 2001

On Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 04:30:34PM +0200, Marco Rinck wrote:
> Hello lfs-apps,
>
> Yesterday I have compiled and installed cdrecord 1.9 and guess what
> ... I have a problem ;-)
>
> Ok, when I try to run "cdrecord -scanbus" it says me, that it can't
> find my SCSI hostadapter. I have a ATAPI cd-writer and want to use the
> ATAPI-SCSI emulation. All the modules are loaded, I have added the
> needed kernel boot parameter (hdc=scsi), I can mount and read
> a CD in the cd-writer without problems (/dev/scd0), the SCSI device
> files exist (/dev/sg..) ... but cdrecord can't find the
> scsi hostadapter.
>
> I have compiled the kernel 2.4.5 without a special hostadapter (I have
> none) only the atapi-scsi emulation the scsi CD-ROM and generic
> support.
>
> When I run "cdrecord -scanbus" there is NO warning in any log file
> about a missing module.
>
> So what is wrong? In my Suse Linux I can burn CD's without a problem.

with the MAKEDEV file that comes with the 3.x series of the LFS book,
your /dev/sg* files are incorrect. You have to remove them and recreate
them by running:
cd /dev
rm sg*
./MAKEDEV -v sg

that should do it. The "generic" option creates the sg* files as block
devices rather than character devices.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org