Glibc compile problem...

Gintautas gmlists at centras.lt
Thu Jun 14 10:45:36 PDT 2001

Hello,

Thursday, June 14, 2001, 2:18:01 AM, you wrote

GB> That's because after configure is done, it creates a cache file
GB> config.cache. When you run configure again, it won't actually try to
GB> test everything, it will just get the last value from the config.cache
GB> file and return that to you.

Whoops ;-/ Damn I missed this simple thing... Sorry for the stupid
note... I seem to miss very simple things in Linux... Too little
attention or maybe too little experience?..

GB> To properly test this again remove the config.cache file. Or to be 100%
GB> sure, remove the source diretory and unpack it again.

OK, I'll try this.

Anyway, today I've finished the basic LFS installation. Everything
works, though I did encounter a few errors. Texinfo make aborted with
this:

make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/texinfo-4.0/info'
gcc -DINFODIR=\"/usr/info\" -DLOCALEDIR=\"/usr/share/locale\" -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../lib -I../intl -I.. -I.    -O3 -march=i686 -c terminal.c
terminal.c:33: ncurses/termcap.h: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [terminal.o] Error 1

The "make" make ;)) aborted with this:

gcc  -O3 -march=i686  -o make  ar.o arscan.o commands.o dir.o expand.o file.o function.o getopt.o implicit.o job.o main.o misc.o read.o remake.o rule.o signame.o variable.o vpath.o default.o remote-stub.o version.o getopt1.o getloadavg.o   -lelf
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lelf
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [make] Error 1

And finally sh-utils refused to compile with this similar message:

gcc  -O3 -march=i686   -o uptime  uptime.o ../lib/libsu.a -lelf
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lelf
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [uptime] Error 1

Rings a bell?
I think these mentioned programs had been compiled statically as they
do work in my LFS system (e.g. I can use make, info, ...)

GB> Actually yes i've heard of it. I even know it's close to Russia (or i'm
GB> making a complete fool out of myself now)

Well, it's close (actually it has a border with the Kaliningrad
region, which belongs to Russia. We also have borders with Latvia,
Byelorussia and Poland And also the Baltic sea. Now you should have
an idea where it's located. It's one of the 3 Baltic countries.

--
 Gintautas

Dead people are cool.

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org