Gerard Beekmans hint?

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jun 12 15:08:16 PDT 2001

On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 08:23:15PM -0400, Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> On Tue, May 29, 2001 at 01:34:35AM -0400, Steve Hayashi wrote:
> > One of the things I'd be curious to read an implement is how LFS's founder
> > has setup his home system.  We all know that it has to be more complicated
> > than simply the books, and I imagine it's a bit more complicated than the
> > hints.
> >
> > Do you think you might be able to do me (and perhaps other aspiring
> > newbies) a favor and post what you've put on your home system (and maybe
> > home server if you have one)?

Ok here's the deal. I'll outline what I have installed on my workstation
and on the linuxfromscratch.org server software wise and where things
differ from the book. Mind you, it's not all that complicated as was
suggested in the original email that started this thread.

Both systems are setup pretty much by-the-book with the biggest
difference being the directory layout that's slightly modified (that
being the biggest difference, there's really not much else different).
The FHS guys and me don't agree much so I don't quite follow the
directory structure outlined in the book.

My /usr/src is only used when I'm compiling software, not for permanent
storage, so the kernel sits in /usr/linux-<version> with /usr/linux
being a symlink to whatever version I'm running at the moment.

/usr/etc is a symlink to /etc
/usr/var is a symlink to /var

I'm utilizing a very simple package manager that runs "find" before i
install something, then again after the installation and runs "diff" on
the two outputs and modifies them a bit (remove the > chars put in by
diff).

The LFS server is setup in the same way (if not, then i'll have to fix
that soon ;)

What's installed software wise? I don't think any would care for the
full list, but highlights are:
qt
kde
openjade
docbook+dsssl stuff
reiserfs
rp-pppoe
apache
mod_perl
mod_ssl
php
licq
gnome+all it's libs (though I don't use it as a window manager or
whatever. It's just there so things like gftp look pretty)

and a whole slew of other stuff, lil utils like cd recording, ripper,
mp3 players, xml tools (like xml parser for apache).

The LFS server runs the following:

apache
aspseek
bandmin
bind
bugzilla+all perl dependencies
cron
cvs
db
docbook
docbook-dsssl
gd
htmldoc
hypermail
ipchains
jpeg
libpng
links
lynx
mm
mod_perl
mod_ssl
mrtg
mutt
mysql
ntp
oidentd
openjade
openssh
openssl
php
postfix
procmail
proftpd
qpopper
rcs
rsync
ucd-snmp
unzip
webalizer
wget
xinetd

Anything else you want to know? Feel free to ask

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org