raw

Adrian Ho lexfiend at usa.net
Sun Jun 10 10:32:04 PDT 2001

On Sun, 10 Jun 2001, Simon Perreault wrote:

> On Sunday 10 June 2001  8:20, Adrian Ho wrote:
> > By your argument, profiling libraries (I'm thinking especially of glibc)
> > must be installed for a "working basic system".  But that's clearly not
> > needed for your system to be "working", and it's definitely not "basic".
> >
> > As such, I've added "--disable-profile" to configure in my glibc build
> > script -- it also saves a non-trivial amount of space.
>
> We don't use "--disable-profile" while building glibc, and therefore my
> argument holds true.

Huh?  Read my first para again -- I'm questioning the notion that libc_p.a
(the glibc profile library) is /necessary/ for a "working basic system".

And I'm questioning "what we install, we must install /completely/".  To
me, that says "install everything that can be built from the tarballs".

If so, LFS (as of 3.0-pre3) is inconsistent with your philosophy.  To cite
just two examples from a by-the-book LFS install:

* glibc profile libs, but no ncurses profile libs
* out of the 6 languages supported in the GCC tarball, only two are built

So if what you mean is not what I said, what /do/ you mean?

Adrian Ho   lexfiend at usa.net

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org