raw

Scot Mc Pherson behomet at home.com
Sun Jun 10 06:21:40 PDT 2001

To use an example that is already specified in the book....VIM does not have
all features compiled when you finish the book and you must recompile it
after you have installed other /non/LFS packages before all the features are
utilized.

It is no problem to recompile a piece of software, as well if one were to
compile everything according to the book, they would find a lot of things
that they could change and suggest according to scenario.

BUT...

Not everyone has DVD drives, and if we start beginning to say, "If you
have...., then use this config, and if you have..., then use this other
config" the book will become a set of if/then statements which will lead to
a lot of people making configuration errors and building a non working LFS.
We want to keep LFS simple, not make it more complicated, that is what keeps
people from Linux distros to begin with and what will keep people from LFS
if we go the same route.

I state again, I think it is not within the spirit of the book to place
configuration specific issues within the book's binder...As a hint I think
it is indispensable, but I do not think its appropriate for the book...

Again, just my two (maybe 3 now) cents,
Scot Mc Pherson
~Linux is a journey, not a guided tour~