How to create automatic profiles

Stephen Bosch listread at vodacomm.ca
Fri Jun 8 08:23:30 PDT 2001

Holy cow! Look what happens when I don't read the list for 24 hours. Had
no idea I would be opening such a pandora's box.

There is another parameter that nobody seems to have mentioned yet (and
what I was thinking of when I said that "useradd can be configured to
automatically create directories") and that is found in /etc/login.defs.

You can add a parameter to /etc/login.defs like so:

CREATE_HOME	yes

I could be wrong but I think this is a generic option. It means you
don't have to mess with the flaming -m switch when you want to use the
/etc/skel template.

Gerard Beekmans wrote:

> Uhm correction, short answer: you can, kind of
>
> run: useradd -D
>
> Those are the defaults set when you don't specify them:
>
> gerard:~$ useradd -D
> GROUP=500
> HOME=/home
> INACTIVE=-1
> EXPIRE=
> SHELL=
> SKEL=/etc/skel
>
> You can change those defaults by running "useradd -D option"
>
> so if you want to change the default shell:
> useradd -D -s /bin/bash
>
> you need to create the /etc/default directory before you can change
> these defaults.

Although I don't think this lets you integrate options into an
unswitched command, does it? I suppose you could alias the command, too,
that might let you do what you want.

Try those out and let us know how it goes.

-Stephen-
Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org