Yiihaa!

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Feb 7 12:08:56 PST 2001

On February  7, 2001 06:59 am, Björn Lindberg wrote:
> Last night I booted my new lfs-system for the first time. I compiled
> the kernel, typed reboot.. and everything worked! (Amazing especially
> considering that I heavily modified the boot scripts.)
>
> I primarily used the 2.4.3 book, but with the newest versions of all
> packages, and some of the patches from 2.4.4. 2.4.0 kernel with
> crypt & reiser patches, and glibc 2.2.1.
>
> One annoying thing though, is that on shutdown the software power off
> mechanism doesn't work. I thought that the newer kernels did this
> automatically if you give the -p to halt. Has anybody got it to work
> with a new 2.4.0 kernel?

You need power management enabled in the kernel. Besides that, you have to
disable SMP (it's enabled by default) if you don't have a dual cpu system.

There are two power management options in the kernel. Try one of the two. If
one doesn't work try the other one.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org