CRASH!

Marc Heerdink marc at koelkast.net
Fri Dec 28 10:44:30 PST 2001

On Fri, 28 Dec 2001 12:22:26 +0300
2sheds at newmail.ru babbled:

> Damn, I just had a first crash on my LFS box :( And it was sooo weird -
> never had anything like that with any other OS (BeOS,Windoze,QNX,RedHat
> 7.1). I was writing a message in mutt using VIM 6.0, mpg123 was playing
> some mp3s and then, suddenly, I've heard one of my HDDs stopped, monitor
> switched to power save mode and then - nothing. At first I thought it
> was a power surge, but my comp was still runing. BTW, I have 2 HDDs (IBM
> DJNA 30Gb and Seagate Barracuda IV) and I'm 90% sure that it was IBM
> that stopped - I recognized that "click". Barracuda is very quiet so I
> couldn't tell if it was still spinning. HDD LED on my comp case was lit,
> like it was writing something. But that's not all - I couldn't reboot
> neither pressing POWER OFF button, nor RESET!!!

I think it was a motherboard failure, maybe the southbridge. Do you have a
powerful enough Power Supply? Oh.. are both discs working again?

Try to do some maintenance on your mobo.. eg upgrade the bios, avoid messy
cables, look in the BIOS (maybe your little nepphew changed something when
he came over with your aunt ;) etc etc. It could have been everything and
nothing.

> About my system: PIII 933MHz, ASUS TUSL2-C, 256MB RAM, 40Gb Seagate
> (LFS is here), 30Gb IBM (this HDD is for file storage only), Creative
> Live! Value. This box is running kernel 2.4.16 (patches: preempt.
> kernel, BeOS filesystem driver), mounted partitions: 2xEXT2, 3xFAT32.

You're using the pre-emt patch which is not 100% IIRC :)

> I'm not sure if I shall send this report to linux-kernel - tell me if
> you think so.

It won't harm, that's for sure.

- L. Flon

Marc Heerdink