2 questions sound / tex

André Wyrwa a.wyrwa at web.de
Tue Dec 18 15:01:24 PST 2001

Hi,

> Depends what you want, but probably teTeX-something.  The latest version
> compiles out of the box; but at:
> /usr/SRC/teTeX-src-1.0.7.tar.gz   (8Mb)
> /usr/SRC/teTeX-texmf-1.0.2.tar.gz  (33Mb)
> takes a lot of downloading.  The new versions build everything, so you get
> the viewer and conversion stuff.

Don't you need teTeX-texmfsrc-1.0.1.tar.gz, too? Or does teTeX-src-1.0.7
include the sources for the binaries included in teTeX-texmf-1.0.2?

As for the sound question: The only general advantages of alsa I know are:
it remembers the mixer-states (the kernel oss drivers do forget them on
reboot), and it is completely free (kernel oss is a free branch of oss,
which is not free).
For me these two are not enough to make me install alsa.
There may be other, card-dependent advantages: better drivers and such. For
instance the kernel oss drivers for the yamaha sound system that is
integrated into my toshiba portege 300ct (one of the coolest notebooks ever
;-) ) have mixer support split into two devices, which is something nasty,
'cause a lot of mixer-apps do support only one mixer-device (dear
mixer-app-developers: please make your applications
multi-device-compatible). But even that afaik the alsa driver doesn't have
that problem makes me like to install that extra package.

André.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org