strange X behaviour

Matthias Benkmann matthias at winterdrache.de
Fri Dec 14 15:46:27 PST 2001

On 14 Dec 2001, at 16:55, Florian Bachmann wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> On Friday 14 December 2001 12:57, you wrote:
> >    I installed XFree 4.1.0 from the source tarballs
> > (with gcc 2.95.3 as it comes with LFS and -O2
> > -march=i686 C flags) and the Matrox library for DRI (I
> > have a Matrox G450). With and without the updated
> > drivers from Matrox, X behaves quite oddly : when I
> > run the default startx, it   closes too early (when I
> > close an xterm for example). And when I exit twm, it
> > hangs and I have to kill the process (just SIGTERM,
> > though). But the best is : with WindowMaker, there's
> > no problem at all! Have you ever experienced that?
>
> That has nothing to do with your Matrox card - it's just the utterly stupid
> default configuration that comes with XFree.

It's not a stupid configuration. twm does not offer any obvious way of
terminating it, so if you started twm as the last client and then closed
your xterms, the only way you could get out of X would be keyboard combos
such as Ctrl-Alt-Backspace or Ctrl-Alt-F1 which some people might not
know.

MSB

----
When you order sausage in Germany, prepare for the wurst!

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org