Euro sign

Steve Bougerolle steveb at creek-and-cowley.com
Thu Dec 13 01:30:21 PST 2001

> Interesting. This code seems to be the generic "currency" symbol. What
> see is a symbol like an o that hides a cross behind it, which seems to
be
> the Norwegian currency symbol. At least it's on my keyboard on Shift-4

> instead of the dollar. Hmm, on the other hand, why would it give me
the
> Norwegian currency symbol just because my Keyboard is Norwegian. I
have my
> Country settings set to German. Maybe it's just a coincidence that it
> turns out like this.

When they made ISO8859-15, there were no spare characters out of the 255
they'd assigned in ISO8859-1, so to fit in the Euro they had to remove
some older symbols including the crossed-o thingy you mentioned.

If you upgrade your fonts to newer versions and/or set the coding to
ISO8859-15, you should see the Euro nicely.  The symbol you've got now
sounds like  the old international currency symbol. which IIRC was
replaced by the euro.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org