Euro sign

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Thu Dec 13 01:28:50 PST 2001

On Thursday 13 December 2001 08:59, Mr R A Mercer wrote:
> Matthias Benkmann wrote:
> > But let's just test it. The following line contains a few Euro signs.
> > Pegasus mail outputs character 128 and flags the mail as ISO-8859-1 and I
> > can see the Euro sign just fine when I receive my own mail (I just
> > tried). Who does or does not see the Euro sign and what mailer and
> > terminal do you use?
> >
> > Here are Euro signs: € € € € € € € € € € € € € € € € € € €
>
> I'm seeing them fine in Mozilla-0.9.4 under Mandrake 8.1

Interesting. I see the symbols correctly as quoted in your message, but in
Matthias's, I see a little box shape, with a dithered looking border. It's
the same text in both cases, but your client obviously changed the encoding
to one that works in kmail (1.2, from KDE 2.1.2).

Kmail lists the encoding as iso-8859-15, though it also appears correctly if
I set it to utf8 (also a few others, no particular pattern). I get the little
circle/cross symbol for the central european encodings (8859-2,3,4)  and for
some others. Everything else seems to give a question mark.

Looks like ISO-8859-15 and UTF8 are the safest choices...

Simon.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org