Sound problems

Marc Heerdink marc_heerdink at softhome.net
Mon Dec 10 09:35:44 PST 2001

On Mon, 10 Dec 2001 12:00:32 -0500
"James Drabb" <JDrabb at darden.com> babbled:

> Hey group,
>
> Does anyone have any tips on setting up my sound card?  I have an audio
> PCI 128 that uses the es1370 sound driver.  When I boot into Redhat 7.2
> the sound is working fine.  The modules loaded under Redhat are:
> 	soundcore
> 	es1370
> The only thing I see in the Redhat /etc/modules.conf for the sound card
> is an alias of:
> 	alias sound-slot-0 es1370
>
> Under my LFS /etc/modules.conf I put the same alias.  When I boot into
> LFS I can insmod soundcore but when I insmod es1370 under LFS I get a
> device not found error.  Looking at /proc/pci there is an entry for my
> sound card on IRQ 9.  Does the MAKEDEV script with LFS 3.1 create all
> the correct /dev entries for sound?  Looking at the kernel source for
> es1370.c it has devices supported as /dev/dsp.  There must be some
> stupid step that I am missing if the sound works fine under Redhat.

Can you give us the exact error?

Do you have PnP support in the kernel? Does /etc/modules.conf contain
these lines:

alias sound es1370
alias sound-slot-0 es1370
alias sound-service-0-3 es1370

Do you have the special devices /dev/dsp, /dev/mixer and /dev/sndstat (and
some others, but these are the ones you'll use most of the time)?

- L. Flon

Marc Heerdink
marc at koelkast.net
http://www.koelkast.net/