Disc image

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Sun Dec 9 01:56:53 PST 2001

On Sunday 09 December 2001 06:08, Thomas wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I finished to install my lfs and few more software and I was wondering
> how it would be possible to make an image of my hard disk.
>
> I though about:
> tar -czf image.tar.gz /etc /usr /var ...
> or
> cat /dev/hda5 > image
>
> I don't know...

Not sure if it's what you're looking for, but I just made a tar of my most
recent LFS build (plus X, blackbox, various libs, etc). Just booted to a
different partition, and went "tar cf ~/lfs-image.tar $LFS". Tar file is just
over 300Mb...

Next time I break things by mis-installing some critical package, I can just
restore the image, instead of rebuilding (which is mostly automated, but
still time consuming).

Simon.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org