LFS on laptop

Marc Heerdink marc_heerdink at softhome.net
Fri Dec 7 13:50:16 PST 2001

On Fri, 7 Dec 2001 22:25:19 +0000
Stefano <texstefano at libero.it> babbled:

> I'm thinking to install my LFS on a laptop.
> It is a HP Xe3 and i already know that the modem won't work, but, what
> about the other things? are there known problems configuring ethernet
> card, video card (Intel830MG) and in/out devices?
> Would be possible to connect an external modem in order to replace the
> inbuilt one?

Dunno :) You might want to check xfree86.org for the videocard, and the
latest kernel for the network card. All other devices? Hmm HDD and FDD
will probably give you no trouble at all, neither will any CD-ROM drives.
I don't recall any problem with APM on any HP laptop, so that will be fine
as well.

> At the end, the entire installation, would be a lot of troubles with
> sleepless nights, or more or less quite unpainful?

It will be a lot of trouble with sleepless nights, if this is your first
LFS. But it's worth it... if you've set up LFS on a normal PC before,
count on "less unpainful". If you've set up LFS on a dozen laptops or so,
the installation may be "quite unpainful".

> Thanks in advance for all suggestions,
> Stefano

- L. Flon

Marc Heerdink