lock breaking preemptible kernel

Matthias Benkmann matthias at winterdrache.de
Wed Dec 5 12:20:49 PST 2001

On 5 Dec 2001, at 10:22, Ian Molton wrote:

> Actually, thats just not true - compiling kernels on a loaded box is often
> quite a bit quicker with the pre-empt patch.
>
> what it does do (other than improve latency) is keep one task from hogging
> the CPU if its stuck in the kernel for a long time (perhaps in a new /
> badly written / inefficient driver).

You're actually telling me there are drivers that do busy waiting in the
Linux kernel?  Because that is the only situation where the latency patch
would help batch jobs, because it would cause CPU time to be used that is
otherwise just wasted. I had assumed that any kind of i/o would put the
process into the blocked state and give the CPU to another process till
i/o is finished. I'm sure this is the case for disk i/o. So if you don't
use any exotic hardware in background jobs and just play an mp3 file and
in parallel compile a kernel, I'm sure the kernel will compile slower and
the mp3 will play smoother if the preempt patch is used. And in fact from
what I gather this behaviour is what gets people so hyped about the
preemption patches. No skipping for the mp3 is more important than a few
seconds additional compile time. After all, if you actually wanted to get
work done, you wouldn't be listening to mp3s would you ;-)

MSB

----

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org