Fwd: Please Help - Devfs and XFree-4.1.0

Jeroen Coumans jeroencoumans at hotpop.com
Wed Dec 5 11:50:06 PST 2001

On Tuesday 04 December 2001 21:12, you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have just re-built my kernel (2.4.16) with the Unix98 pty thing enabled
> (it was disabled). dev/pts is disabled.
>
> I booted my LFS3.1 system and started X (4.1.0). When the default xinitrc
> runs it tries to open 3 xterms. I am running as root. When the xterm tries
> to start it fails with the error of there not being any free pyts... When I
> run the system with the devfsd deamon, Xterm runs fine. (I don't have PAM).
>
> Should I just create a few symlinks in /dev for ptys? to vc/x or do I have
> to run devfsd?
I have never had these problems with devfs w/o devfsd. The only program which
complained about no free pty's is ripperX. Do you mount the /dev/pts
filesystem? The lfs-book recommends this line in /etc/fstab:
devpts          /dev/pts        devpts   gid=4,mode=620  0 0
Try to uncomment it (put a # before it), perhaps this solves it.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org