[blfs-dev] Perl modules branch: An invitation to the brave

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Mon Nov 5 09:40:12 PST 2018

On Mon, Nov 05, 2018 at 09:45:33AM -0600, Bruce Dubbs via blfs-dev wrote:
> On 11/04/2018 09:39 PM, Ken Moffat via blfs-dev wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 04, 2018 at 08:41:28PM -0600, Bruce Dubbs via blfs-dev wrote:
> > >
> > > One question I have is what are the consequences of using the cpan install
> > > for LWP::Protocol::https?  That does not use the patch.  As best I can tell,
> > > a grep for LWP::Protocol::https only shows up in biber and then only in XML
> > > comments.  Can you clarify?
> > >
> > We mention LWP::Protocol:https in libwww-perl, unless I accidentally
> > deleted that (which is possible) - something like "if you wish to
> > use https:// now install LWP::Protocol::https".
>
> It does say in LWP::Protocol::https that it provides https support for
> LWP::UserAgent (i.e. libwww-perl-6.35). But libwww-perl does not mention
> LWP::Protocol::https.

It turns out the comment was not there (technically, omitted rather
than deleted).  Added in r20681.

> Perhaps that mention should be made and LWP::Protocol::https moved to the
> module dependencies section.  I'd also add a note that LWP::Protocol::https
> is not automatically installed by the cpan method.

No.  LWP::Protocol::https is a dependency of biber, so it goes in
'Modules', libwww-perl is a dependency of that.

There is no particular reason for anyone using libwww-perl (e.g. for
web activities) to expect the https:// protocol to be installed,
other than the general non-LFS move away from insecure http://.

> > That probably dates from somebody (looking at other changes a couple
> > of days ago, I guess it was Randy) having enthusiasm for Perl
> > modules.
> >
> > But to answer the question: if you use remote bib (i.e.
> > bibliography) files (accessed by https://) in biber, the CPAN
> > install will use Mozilla::CA to validate the certificates - and
> > Mozilla::CA was last updated in January so it lags behind the system
> > certificates from mozilla, and it also will not use any local
> > certificates.
> >
> > However, using remote bib files (which only works with biber, not
> > the earlier (La)TeX bibliography package - bibtex, I think) is not
> > a common thing.
> >
> > And I think I mentioned it in the initial paragraphs of the new
> > perl-modules page.
>
> Not specifically that I can see.
>
>   -- Bruce

I did mention it, but not there - if you read the 'Installation'
section of the package, it says why the patch is used, and what CPAN
will do instead.  The ')' was misplaced and the HTTP in the
introdiction had become HT~TP : my K120 keyboard seems to generate ~
in strings of capitals and I don't always notice.  Fixed in the same
revision.

ĸen
--
                        Is it about a bicycle ?