[blfs-dev] Firefox-57.0.1 build fails if /run/shm has incorrect permissions when building Python 2

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Dec 27 12:23:48 PST 2017

Ryan Marsaw wrote:

> I don't know if the LFS editors assume that a user will reboot a machine
> before
> building BLFS packages, but this information might come in handy for
> anyone who
> (like me) does not reboot until after BLFS is built (or, at least until after
> Python 2 is built).
>
> For what it's worth, in LFS section 6.2. Preparing Virtual Kernel File
> Systems, I change the permissions on /run/shm as so:
>
> if [ -h $LFS/dev/shm ]; then
>     install -v -dm 1777 $LFS$(readlink $LFS/dev/shm)
> fi

What /dev/shm should be is a symlink to /run/shm.  Since /run should be a
tmpfs, the permissions are supposed to be set at boot time.

Your workaround is OK, but leaves things in a file /run/shm that is
covered up by the tmpfs when the system is booted.

In chroot, I'd suggest using 'mount --bind /run/shm $LFS/run/shm' or just
'mount -t tmpfs tmpfs $LFS/run/shm' before entering chroot.

   -- Bruce