[blfs-dev] About Libtool Archive (.la) files

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 08:51:51 PST 2017

DJ Lucas wrote:
> On December 9, 2017 4:50:08 PM CST, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> I have just added a new section to BLFS that discusses what .la
>> files are and their (non) usefulness.  It includes a script to
>> archive the .la files (pun intended).
>>
>> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/introduction/la-files.html

The script has worked for me so far, but I consider it tentative.

>> I would appreciate feedback on the page including, but not limited
>> to, wording, typos, factual accuracy, and placement in the book.

> Only thing I'd do is make the exclusions a constant. There are still
> more programs in the wild that require the archives than IM, though few
> and far between. You can assemble the variable using a short loop, and
> just use it unquoted in the command for /usr. Also, the exclusion is
> not necessary for OPTDIRS. As to the explanatory text, I'd at very
> least mention autotools (for historical reference), and meson as the
> impetus for the change.

Thanks for the feedback DJ.  I agree that a user might want to exclude
more than just ImageMagick.

I can add some comments about autotools.  I'll note that a package that
converts from autotools to cmake could also cause issues.

Also, automake/autoconf can be used without libtool.  We usually think of
all three packages together as autotools, but they are really three
different applications.

   -- Bruce