[blfs-dev] About Libtool Archive (.la) files

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Dec 12 08:10:10 PST 2017

On December 9, 2017 4:50:08 PM CST, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
>I have just added a new section to BLFS that discusses what .la files
>are
>and their (non) usefulness.  It includes a script to archive the .la
>files
>(pun intended).
>
>http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/introduction/la-files.html
>
>The script has worked for me so far, but I consider it tentative.
>
>I would appreciate feedback on the page including, but not limited to,
>wording, typos, factual accuracy, and placement in the book.
>
>   -- Bruce
>--
>

>--
>This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content by
>E.F.A. Project, and is believed to be clean.
>
>Click here to report this message as spam.
>https://efa.lucasit.com/cgi-bin/learn-msg.cgi?id=DC91760073.A62D7&token=d5a4667d8d3d660f0e564234c1ec60d4

Only thing I'd do is make the exclusions a constant. There are still more programs in the wild that require the archives than IM, though few and far between. You can assemble the variable using a short loop, and just use it unquoted in the command for /usr. Also, the exclusion is not necessary for OPTDIRS. As to the explanatory text, I'd at very least mention autotools (for historical reference), and meson as the impetus for the change.

--DJ