[blfs-dev] Removing .la files

Armin K. krejzi.lfs at email.com
Thu Dec 7 09:26:24 PST 2017

On 7.12.2017 7:02, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> I've been looking at removing .la (libtool archive) files from LFS/BLFS.
> There are a lot of them, but there are also a lot of variances among
> distros.
>
> LFS/BLFS  1653
> Fedora26     8
> Devuan     107
> Mint       311
> Ubuntu     230
> Slackware 1676
> SuSE       133
> Arch         0
> Debian     232
>
> Of course there are a lot of variables in the above.  Most of the
> distros are the default install and do not have packages like xyz-devel
> installed.
>
> The problem for BLFS is that many packages today are moving away from
> autotools to meson/ninja or cmake/make.  We recently updated glib and
> that now uses meson and does not create any .la files.  The problem is
> that a lot of other .la files say to look for files like
> libgobject-2.0.la from glib and if that is missing, the package build
> fails.
>
> We can (and have) written scripts to fix the problem, but that just
> works around it issue and does not fix it.
>
> What would be ideal would be to just remove all the .la files (and fix
> at least one .pc file (serf) that references two .la files).  An example
> of the change is to update /usr/lib/libaprutil-1.la to -laprutil-1.
>
> These .la files are generally only used at build time and are unneeded
> for that purpose on linux.  However, from what I can tell, there are
> occasional uses of .la files at run time.  The problem is that I cannot
> reliably determine which .la files are needed for that.
>
> Does anyone here have any insight about how to determine what .la files
> NOT to remove?
>
>    -- Bruce

I think without much guessing and testing, the safest way to accomplish
removing *.la files is to just remove them from compiler search paths
(/lib, /usr/lib, /usr/local/lib), and leave them in their subdirectories.

For now, I only know of ImageMagick and libgphoto2 that won't work if
*.la files in /usr/lib/ImageMagick*/ and /usr/lib/libgphoto2*/ are
removed, but you can remove ones that they install in /usr/lib just fine.

I also saw that Ken mentioned mpg123, but there's a configure switch
which can be used to tell it to use plain ol' .so files.