[blfs-dev] Removing .la files

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Thu Dec 7 09:10:12 PST 2017

On Thu, Dec 07, 2017 at 04:52:11PM +0530, Tushar Teredesai wrote:
> In my build scripts, all libtool files are removed before the package is
> installed into / (I used the staged install a.k.a. DESTDIR approach of
> package management). Never had any compilation issues.
>
> I believe the trick is to never allow the libtool files to be installed into
> the system in the first place. Try this approach on a fresh install.
>
> --Tushar.

Hi Tushar,

Good to know you are still reading this. But do you install
ImageMagick or mpg123 ?

My own scripts do plain make_install then hide .la files *unless*
they are the alsa file from mpg123 (I'd forgotten about that, don't
know if it even still exists) or any .la from ImageMagick.

With IM, if the 'delegate' libtool libraries don't exist then almost
any command (display, identify, mogrify, etc) will error.

ĸen
--
Truth, in front of her huge walk-in wardrobe, selected black leather
boots with stiletto heels for such a barefaced truth.