[blfs-dev] Removing .la files

Tushar Teredesai tushar.teredesai at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 03:22:11 PST 2017

On 2017/12/07 11:32, Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> I've been looking at removing .la (libtool archive) files from
> LFS/BLFS. There are a lot of them, but there are also a lot of
> variances among distros.
>
> <snip>
> The problem for BLFS is that many packages today are moving away from
> autotools to meson/ninja or cmake/make.  We recently updated glib and
> that now uses meson and does not create any .la files. The problem is
> that a lot of other .la files say to look for files like
> libgobject-2.0.la from glib and if that is missing, the package build
> fails.

In my build scripts, all libtool files are removed before the package is
installed into / (I used the staged install a.k.a. DESTDIR approach of
package management). Never had any compilation issues.

I believe the trick is to never allow the libtool files to be installed
into the system in the first place. Try this approach on a fresh install.

--Tushar.

--
http://www.linkedin.com/in/tusharteredesai
Hardware can't cut it alone, it needs a little help from it's big friend named data.