[blfs-dev] ?==?utf-8?q? systemd+initrd=race condition

DJ Lucas - LFS blfs-dev at lucasit.com
Tue Apr 4 11:36:21 PDT 2017

On Tuesday, April 04, 2017 09:00 CDT, Pierre Labastie <pierre.labastie at neuf.fr> wrote:
  Hi,
To break uniformity in my jhalfs tests, I decided I
would build LFS-systemd. It happened it was on an LVM
partition, so I needed an initrd, which I took from
the book. After completing jhalfs, it booted OK, but
then I installed Linux-PAM and could not login again.
Each time I entered my username and hit <return>,
there was a message telling:
"System is booting up. See pam_nologin(8)"

Googling took me to [1], [2], and [1] took me to [3].
Note that there is a thread leading to [1]: [4], with a
lot of details.

Basically, systemd creates a /run/nologin file containing:
"System is booting up. See pam_nologin(8)"
while it is booting, but if this occurs in the initrd, it
may be never cleared because of a race condition (I do not
understand the details, I am too new to systemd, if I am
anything to systemd ;-).

This is after reinstalling systemd? The Linux-PAM page has a note to do so, and an instruction to temporarily remove /run/nologin.

--DJ