[blfs-dev] What happened to the programs `xload` and `xfontsel`?

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Mon Apr 3 12:10:25 PDT 2017

On Mon, Apr 03, 2017 at 12:16:42PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Ken Moffat wrote:
>
> > If I want to look at the load on a desktop machine I normally devote
> > a term to 'top' - for that even an 80x25 term is adequate and it
> > shows the current percentage use of each core.
>
> Try GKrellM.  http://gkrellm.srcbox.net/
>
>   -- Bruce

For me, top is adequate - and most of the time icewm's panel-image,
from which I can load top, is enough.  But for the OP, according to
wikipedia and the page you linked to, gkrellm needs gtk+-2 [ so does
icewm ] which might be too "heavy" (dunno, I'm trying to guess why
somebody would want to use xload).

Interesting thread on xload, with some alternatives mentioned, at
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=28483

Gentoo have ebuilds for xload, but of those I've found so far they
only have dependencies (xorg-libs in BLFS-terms) without any
commands to actually build it - first time I've ever come across an
build like that, e.g.
http://xemacs.cdpa.nsysu.edu.tw/Gentoo/gentoo-portage/x11-apps/xload/xload-1.1.2.ebuild

ĸen
for them.'     -- Small Gods