[blfs-dev] OpenJDK very slow with gcc-5 and/or linux-4

Pierre Labastie pierre.labastie at neuf.fr
Sun May 31 03:51:23 PDT 2015

Hi all,

I built OpenJDK with gcc-5 on LFS SVN-20150515 (uses linux-4.0.3).

As said in another post, there was a minor problem with the OS not recognized.
But then, I used the newly built JVM to compile icedtea-web, and that was very
slow. Also, top showed that sometimes, the JVM allocated more than 16Gb of
memory, leading to heavy disk usage, because of swapping.

So I went back to rebuilding OpenJDK with itself, and got the same behavior:
slow and high use of memory. Actually, it even allocated the full swap space
and failed while building in the jdk subdirectory.

Note that the binary JVM downloaded from anduin runs well. That binary was
compiled from the same sources, but with gcc-4.9.2.

Actually, there is a patch:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~sgehwolf/webrevs/JDK-8078666/webrev.02/hotspot.patch

Will try to make a sed.

Pierre