[blfs-dev] Valgrind 3.10.1 Linux 4.0 patch

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Thu May 28 13:40:30 PDT 2015

On Sat, May 23, 2015 at 05:23:10PM +0100, Ken Moffat wrote:

(updating, for the little it matters)
> You guys must be on more reliable systems than me ;-)  In the last
> couple of weeks I have several times had vim hang on my server, and
> rather more times I've lost the network (nothing in the logs, but
> seems to be related to 4.0+ kernels - both stable and rc) while
> editing my notes using nfs.  I'm very friendly with vim's .swp files,
> I would not want to put them in /tmp.

Today, I got a reply on lkml which prompted me to look at my logs.
What was happening was that at some point dhclient tried to get a
new lease and got it from my hub (router) instead of from my server.
At one time, the server would respond quickly, but nowadays the hub
usually sends the first reply.  Meanwhile, I had a vim session open
which was using nfs.  5 minutes later, iptables dropped the incoming
nfs packets because they were addressed to the old address issued by
my server, instead of the new address issued by my hub.

I've no idea what has changed, but it doesn't look like a kernel
problem.  I've now changed my iptables script to allow all packets
from both my server and my hub, but at the moment I've no idea if
that will fix it.

/me misses whatever it was that used to protect nfs, but which we
ripped out claiming that iptables could do the job.

ĸen